Hoian Ancient Town in the middle of Vietnam
Hoian Ancient Town is a little town in the middle of Vietnam. It located 30km south of Danang City, and 100km South of Hue Imperial city. Hoian was once an international trade center by sea on the far east area in the 16th and 17th centuries. It was the busiest trading port in the region as merchants from Japan, China, Portugal, Spain, Holland, etc often stopped over to exchange and purchase commodities. The coming, living of those people, especially Portuguese, Japanese and Chinese has made a great contribution in house architecture, and people life style.
The conflicts on the peninsula of Indochina has turned a prosperous merchant port to a quiet village. The sadly great thing is that the people living in the small town are so poor so there are not much change in house building since then, no new style of house built, and the special architecture of the town remains. Together with the isolation of the town, the life style and way of thinking of people at the town also remains, making the great preservation for travelers of nostalgia.
Then Hoian Ancient Town is hot for any who seeks for a peace moment among the busy days of trips.
In order to boost more the concept of a living museum, Hoi An Ancient Town has re-opened the activities like it had happened 300 years ago. That’s the games of folklore that you will see those at night near the covered bridge, that’s the order of no engine vehicles only at certain hours of the day, that’s the nights without electricity and these has helped tourists to fully live a life of long time ago.
Activities we recommend when visitting Hoian:
- Attend a cooking class which is also a dinner afterward. It’s fun, good food with cuisine atmosphere.
- Have a boat cruise in Hoian river to the rivermouth. It should be even greater if you can do it around 4:00 PM for a beautiful sunset and some drinks at the island on the way.
- Tailor your clothes with great quality and cheap price at any shop in town.
- Have a cold beer by a restaurant looking to the river.
- Attend the no power nights with folk games like in the 16th century.
- Have a bike ride into the village of pottery, vegetable, capenters and copper handicraft.
- Visit fishing market at 6:00 AM in the morning at tthe back of the wet market of Hoian.
- and many more.
We wish you a great stay at Hoian. If you have any question about Hoian trips please ask us.